I apoligize for the title of this blog, but I am currently reading a Jane Austen-ish book, and couldn't resist.
Last night, Jacob had to teach a class in Lindon until after Simon went to bed. While he was gone, Simon and I were in desperate need of entertainment. We came up with the best solution. Simon built his first fort (Technically I built it but he was very supportive during the entire process).
For his first fort, we went simple: a large blanket draped over a card table. Growing up, I remember forts taking up the entire family room. We used the card table, the kitchen table and accompanying chairs, tape, string and just about every blanket in the house. Hearing Jacob's stories, he is also an experienced fort-builder. One day (probably soon), we'll spend hours making and playing in the perfect fort; but last night, our fort was perfect.
After its construction, we stocked the fort with only the necessities: a flashlight, books, toy cars, a sippy cup and at one point; a large, plastic, orange baseball bat. For a time, all three of us were in the fort (Simon, Holly (dog) and I). We quickly had to banish Holly though, due to her continual breathing.
After reading and driving cars all through the fort, we opened the flap and turned it into a cave. Simon spent 20 minutes going in the entrance and out the side. It was quite exciting.
Sorry the pictures are so bad. Jacob had the camera with him so these were taken with my phone (which is a $20 phone with contract renewal).
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Fortnight
Posted by Ami Paulsen at 8:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
That's an awesome fort there-- love the picture of Simon getting stuck... looks like he's just not accepting the fact that he can't go any further- hilarious! Also, i laughed for a good 49 seconds over Holly's banishment due to breathing... it's a dog eat dog world (yeah, yeah.... not funny)
Our forts have been getting cooler (not as many "blanket-held-up-with-one-leg-stuck-in-the-air" forts) but we might need to contract Jacob's skillz-- he seems like a hard core forter
Your title cracked me up. What book were you reading?
It's so much fun when you can play with your kids, rather than just keep them alive. We've made forts a couple times, but lately we've just been putting up the play tent on rainy days. Maybe I need to quit being so lazy and give it another go.
In Austinian language, the finest play cottage has no better recommendation than to welcome one's closest relations in harmony. Surely even Mr. Paulsen would be glad of an invitation to such a place. Can I be so bold as to add my own humble voice in praise of your timely and wise exercise. Perhaps one day I, too, could join you in such an enterprise.
You've inspired me to give it a whirl. So far only Alan has truly risen to the occasion of extensive fort building.
Post a Comment