With the beautiful weather we're experiencing here in Provo, Simon and I spend a lot of time outside. We like to swing, read, run around, and throw things at the dog; but our favorite thing to do is go on walks. We are blessed to live in a great neighborhood with a lot of sidewalks. The problem is... it seems that people don't know the purpose of a sidewalk. If you haven't figured it out yet; yes, this is going to be another ranting blog.
The name says it all "sideWALKS." The purpose of a sidewalk is to have a place to walk. I would even broaden the definition to include running and even riding a bike (I have a little boy, and when he can ride a bike I don't particularly want him in the road).
Now I will go into what a sidewalk is not used for.
- Storing bikes, scooters, toy riding cars, etc. - It never fails. Everytime we go for a walk, we have to dodge various toys on the sidewalk. When I walked alone, I would just walk around whatever was in the way. Now that I am usually attached to a stroller, this isn't so easy. I either have to push the stroller over the grass, inevitably stepping in some kind of animal fecal matter; or I have to push the stroller out into the road, something I really don't like to do.
- Parking cars - If someone is visiting a friend and there isn't room for their entire car to fit in the driveway, the polite thing would be to park on the side of the road. I find this is an uncommon practice. Rather, visitors tend to pull their cars as far into their friend's driveway as possible, without hitting the car already parked in the spot they're trying to occupy, thus blocking the sidewalk. If a car is blocking the sidewalk, my only options are; either lift the stroller over the car and then proceed to climb over the car myself, or push the stroller through the grass (see fecal matter comment above) and then push the stroller off a 3" high curb.
- Riding a horse - That's right; I said it. Yesterday, Simon and I went for what should have been a lovely walk. About half way through the walk, I started to notice bits of... something on the sidewalk. Yes; it was horse poo. Someone had ridden their horse on the sidewalk. Now, either this horse had taken some Immodium, or there was more than one horse. Their was no way to dodge it. For goodness sake; ride your horse in the road!
- A dog playground - On our walking route, there is an older lady with one of those dogs with the stringy-haired faces. You all know the kind I mean: the little yappy dogs that look like mops. The ones that always have who-knows-what caked in the hair around their mouths and eyes. This woman ties her dog to something in the garage and lets it run as far as the leash will go. The problem is, she extends this to the sidewalk. When I walk with Simon, I walk my dog as well. Everytime, it's a battle to stop my dog Holly from snapping the little yappy dog in two. I would normally be mad at Holly, but she is just walking on the sidewalk sniffing random things (like horse poo) when this mobile mop runs out in front of her and starts yapping. It's quite difficult to control a dog and a stroller at the same time. I 'm about to the point where I'm just going to let Holly eat the yappy mop dog.
Even given all the frustrations, walking is still our favorite outside activity. When it's warm, we go on at least two walks a day.
Another thing we love to do is swing. When we bought this house, we inherited this $1100 Costco swing set from the previous owners. Thanks previous owners! Right now there are three swings which is perfect for us. I guess when we have another child one day, we'll have to kick daddy out. :)
Though it has nothing to do with sidewalk frustrations, I think this video is so cute. This is one of Simon's favorite games and I think this is the perfect angle.

7 comments:
To your list I would add those women who walk in packs - you know the ones who wear coordinated jogging suits? They somehow think it's easier for you to go offroading in the stroller than it is for them to step down into the street.
I miss being able to throw Emily around. It's so much fun. Simon looks like he's having a great time.
hahaha... oh Ami you are so funny, you should totally start freelance writing into magazines!
your list is perfect... and the Only thing i'd add to it is: trash... the stuff that even the dump trucks refuse to pick up.. for crying out loud, it's nearly March people, get your Christmas trees and haul them off yourselves!!!!!
what a refreshing rant, loved it!
and the video of Simon going airborn, so cute!
Let Holly take a bite and lets see what happens to the mop dog.
Since I spend a chunk of every day walking myself, I feel intimately acquainted with your list. And since I walk at a certain time in the morning, I could add clumps of children and their back packs,soccer balls etc., waiting for the school bus. The kids play all over the street, but when I'm coming by, they can't move two feet. People are remarkable,all right. And yet, I too love the walk.
I understand!!!
Cute picture of you guys on the swing set, I love it.
Post a Comment