Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"My name is Ami Paulsen and I am a sugar addict."

I want to thank my mom for her support.

Recently, I realized I am completely out of control when it comes to eating sugar. It doesn't matter the time of day or the extension of my hunger; if there is sugar available, I'm all over it. I love sweet treats.

About two weeks ago, I decided things were getting a little out of hand. I made the insane decision to go on a sugar-fast for two weeks. Some people might thing "Wow. Two weeks really isn't that long;" but it is for someone who has never gone a day without some kind of sugar.
After making this crazy plan, I decided I couldn't go about it alone. Since my husband eats just as much sugar as I do but never gains a pound, I knew he wasn't the one to go to. I
immediately called my mom who didn't even hesitate to say she would join me on my fast. It was so nice to have someone to report to at the end of the day and to share my cravings with. So thank you mom, for giving up sugar for two weeks, just to support me. You are the best mom in the world!

Now the two weeks are up and I have to say, I feel better. To break my fast, I had honey-bunches of oats for breakfast and 3 animal cookies after lunch. Though they tasted like heaven, that's really all the sugar I've had today and I don't feel much of a need for more. I think I may have broken the addiction! Here are things I've noticed since I gave up sugar two weeks ago. All these happened in the second week though as the first week was nothing short of pure torture (not really but it makes it sound more dramatic if I say that).

  • I have been able to run farther than ever before.
  • I can be around people eating sweets and not attack them, ripping the plate out of their hands and devouring it whole.
  • I can walk past the bakery section of the grocery store into the produce section without examining all the cookies, brownies and donuts, and being angry they're not mine. Why do they put the bakery section on the way to the produce section anyway? Is that some kind of sick joke?
  • I can watch someone bake sweets on the Food Network without attempting to chew on the TV.
I'm quite happy with the results of this fast and hope it has changed me permanently, though I may have to do this every 6 months or so. I let you know mom.

Now for the reason you all read this blog. Here are some really cute p
ictures of Simon. He insists we line his crib with a fleece blanket. He'll wake up several times during the night without the blanket. Since it's been washed so many times, it doesn't fit quite as tightly as it once did. Before Simon goes to sleep, he rips it off the mattress and situates it. Here are two examples of things he's done with the blanket once it is torn from the mattress. In both instances, we did remove the blanket to prevent suffocation; though not before we got a picture.



5 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Congratulations on your success! May you continue to flourish in self-control and joy in the journey thereby. I can personally testify that life can be sweet without sugar. But not without cute Simon pics. Thanks for the regular "fix."

Katy said...

That's amazing... seriously AMAZING! I guarantee a sugar-free fast for just ONE DAY for me would be horrendous torture-- white-knuckled, sweat pouring off my face, pure agony!!!!! What were some of your tricks or tips to get through it? I'm serious, I need to cut down my massive sugar intake... I'm starting to feel lonely if I don't constantly have a cupcake in my hand!

Simon is so funny! I love his blankie love! Ava refuses to have ANYTHING on her while she sleeps- no snugglie, no blankie, no lovey... she's hard-core through and through!

Michelle said...

Wow way to go!! I should try this I do love me sweets, maybe this would help me too!
Simon sure does love his blankies!! He is so adorable!

Rachael said...

Good job, Ami! I remember when Mom and Dad used to pay me $50 to go without sugar for 3 months. It was rough and I think if I did it today, I would ask for a lot more money... like a million dollars.

Simon sure is cute. I'm sad we won't see him at Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

The Peterson's said...

Good job on the sugar! I was an addict too. But I got prego and then threw up anytime I ate sugar. Even now I still can't stand most of it!