Thursday, August 19, 2010

Denver

This week, Jacob had to go to Denver for a few days for work. Simon and I decided to go with him. While we had a fun time, this reaffirmed my desire to never live directly in a big city. We plan to move to the Denver area one day, but we will definitely be suburb people. Those of you who know me well, know I'm terrified of driving. Driving by myself (well, with Simon) through downtown Denver for 3 days was plenty of big city for me. We had a great time visiting though and are SO glad we got to go with Jacob. Colorado is a beautiful state with a lot of fun things to do.
Here are the highlights of our trip:

The airplane:
Simon is obsessed with anything that could be considered a mode of transportation. He was so excited to be in the airplane. On the way there, he fell asleep on take off. I think he remembered he missed the first flight and stayed awake for the entire flig
ht home, even though we didn't even leave Denver until 9:45 p.m.



The Hotel:
Though this was only his second time in a hotel, we were able to keep Simon happy the entire day with the promise of a hotel. He loves riding in the elevator, having his own queen bed, and most of all, the pool. I'm not exaggerating when I say we spent 3 hours in the pool the second day.


The Forney Transportation Museum:
While looking for something to do that cost under $20, Simon and I stumbled across this little gem. This museum had cars, trains, motorcycles, bicycles, carriages, tractors, airplanes, etc. I finally had to lure Simon out after 2 hours with the promise of a treat from the gift shop.



The Hard Rock Cafe:
I was so excited when I discovered there is a Hard Rock Cafe in Denver. I don't think I've ever been on a trip with my dad, where a Hard Rock Cafe was available, and we didn't visit it. Simon loved it too. He spent a good portion of the dinner dancing, and singing every song he knows at the top of his lungs. I hope he got the Heyborne rock star gene.



Visiting Rachael, Emily and Jane at the Childrens Discovery Museum in Fort Collins:
Driving outside of Denver proper and through to Fort Collins made me once again realize why I want to live in Colorado. It is beautiful. We met up with Rachael in Fort Collins to visit this museum. Not only was the museum great, but Simon thinks Emily is the coolest big kid in the world, especially since she gave him a green car to take home as a souvenir.




The Denver Temple:
Simon loves temples, so on the way to the airport, we stopped by the Denver Temple. As soon as Simon saw it out the window, he began singing, "I Love to See the Temple."



Even though we didn't get home until almost 1 a.m. (and poor Jacob had to be back on an airplane at 6 a.m.), and we've spent the day thus far doing laundry and unpacking, we're so glad we got to join Jacob.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

We had a great time with you guys! Thanks so much for meeting up with us. I hope to be able to do it more often in the not too distant future.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

So glad you had a good time! The pics are great, too. Colorado is a lovely place.

Allison said...

Looks like a really fun and busy trip! I'm glad you got to go with Jacob this time. Cute pictures. Grace loves a good hotel herself. "Forney" musueum, huh :)