Monday, August 16, 2010

August Thus Far

I don't scrapbook and despite my best efforts, I'm horrible at keeping a journal. So basically, the only somewhat complete record I will have of my adult life and my childrens' childhoods is my blog. That said, here is a random posting of what we've done so far this month.


The first weekend in August, Jacob, his dad and his brother, Jeff, competed together in a triathlon. Jeff began by swimming nearly an entire mile, then passed the baton (it was actually a timing chip, but a baton has a cooler image) to his dad who rode 22 miles on his bike; who then passed the torch (an even cooler image) to Jacob who ran a 10K. A good deal of the family was there to cheer them on, and I think I can safely say we were all very proud of our boys. Here is a picture of Jacob crossing the finish line of the 10K, thus completing the triathlon. We all celebrated by going to Iceberg for massive ice cream cones and shakes. I can't think of a better way to celebrate.

Last week, Simon's cousin Emily (Rachael's daughter) came to visit us. She was staying with my parents in Rock Springs, but they had to come to Provo for the day for a dentist appointment. Simon and Emily had such a great time. This picture is not fuzzy because my camera is substandard (though amazingly enough, my camera is substandard) but because Simon and Emily were jumping on the bed at an incredible rate! Sorry Rachael, if I opened a can of worms. I'm guessing Emily is a bed-jumping veteran though. We again marked the occasion with ice cream.

Lastly, Saturday, we went on a hike with Jacob's parents, Aunt Shauna and Uncle Dave to Stewart Falls. When I saw the sign said "2 miles," I thought "Simon and I walk 2 miles a day and I'm fine doing it at 6 months pregnant. I can do 4 miles." Little did I know, the hike had a lot of hills, slopes and strange climbs over rocks. Even Jacob said it was a was a pretty good workout. While I had fun the last mile or so (it was downhill and in the shade), I wouldn't recommend this hike to someone who is 6 months pregnant (or 2 1/2, as Simon spent the entire hike on Jacob's shoulders). It was a beautiful hike though and I began to remember it as a good time shortly after the hike was over. And of course... we celebrated the completion of the hike with another trip to Iceberg for lunch and ice cream.

I am so grateful to have a family who loves the outdoors and loves to be together. I'm thankful to live in a place where I am surrounded by beautiful landscape. And, of course, I am thankful for ice cream.

3 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

You were a cheerful trooper, Ami, and once again set the example I try to follow (I'm much more likely to whine). They were lovely days because we were together in some beautiful places--and because we ended with ice-cream, of course.

Katy said...

holy smokes.... 6 months preggers already!?! where'd the time go? (i LOVED it when people made stupid, flippant remarks about how "quickly" my pregnancy was flying to them... when THEY weren't the one sick, annoyed, fat, and hungry. You're. Welcome.)

way to go Jacob and team... Taylor and I are seriously debating starting to train for one of those... except i can't ride a bike nor can i swim. Gotta start somewhere, right? Maybe I start backwards... at the ice cream shop.

Allison said...

Looks like fun times. Emily and Simon are so cute! What a fun time. Glad you guys are ending the summer on a fun note- you deserve it!