Thursday, May 7, 2009

Now I Know My ABCs

Simon has two letter puzzles that are among his favorite toys. One is a wooden puzzle with small letters, and the other is a big foam puzzle with larger letters. For the last few weeks, Simon has been bringing me letters. Each time he hands me a letter, I tell him what it is. Until a few nights ago, I didn't know how much information he was retaining. I randomly asked him to bring me the "S" and he did. I continued to quiz him and he brought me about 15 letters when I asked for them. I was shocked! He's only 17 months old!
Now he also says the name of the letters randomly. He knows most of them by name, and a few of them by sound ( U is "oooo" and Z is "zzzzz") I wish I had it on video, but he won't do it on command. Whenever I hold a letter and say "What is this Simon?" he laughs hysterically. I'm not too sure why, but apparently it's funny.



I also have to include this picture. Last week, Simon and I went to Roberts Craft to get some paper. Simon was mad, so the clerk brought us a balloon. It was a hit. Simon talked to it all the way home and played with it first thing the next morning. The next day, I realized I didn't have everything I needed, and we had to go back to Roberts. Again, when we walked in, the clerk gave Simon a balloon. She tied it to his ankle, but he somehow untied it and it floated away. She brought us yet another balloon. Needless to say; we're big fans of Roberts now. Simon loved his balloon so much, he wouldn't part with it for breakfast, so it joined him in his high chair.

5 comments:

Erin said...

What a smarty pants!! That is amazing!!

jamminjensen said...

That is INCREDIBLE!!! I have seen kids like this on tv, but never thought I would actually know one in real life! I'm so proud of Simon! (and of his parents too) Keep up the good work! ~Britt

Katy said...

OH MY SWEET CHERRY PIE, that kid is Brilliant!!!!! Get him on Oprah NOW!!! I'm so glad you got that on video... this was so cute!

Ava's "alphabet" goes something like this (in her sing-songy voice)
"A, B, C, A, A, A, A, S, D, A, A, A"

well, you get it. needless to say, she loves A's.

Give him a squeeze for Ava and I... he's too adorable!!

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Yay Simon! Yay Momma! What a delight! The very lest he deserves is a balloon. I'm a fan of Roberts myself. Yet, they've never given me a balloon.

Rachael said...

Wow. Simon is so smart. Emily didn't know any letters until she was at least 2. We are so excited to see him at the end of the month!