Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Love Lucy

Lucy Elizabeth Mercy Paulsen was born Saturday, November 13 at 4:59 a.m. It was quite a surprise since I'd gone in for an appointment that morning (being 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant) and scheduled and induction as the doctor thought I might never go into labor myself.

From my first contraction to Lucy being born was only 3 1/2 hours. For anyone who might say "Oh. You're so lucky your labor was so short," it's not true. It was as if all the pain of a long labor was crammed into 3 1/2 hours. It was more than worth it though.
I had complained profusely about going over due, sure Lucy would come out a 15 lb baby. I was shocked when she was only 6 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches.
Lucy is a wonderful little girl. We're so happy she came to join our family!!




Side story: When we found out Lucy was a girl, we wanted to get her a pink monkey. When Simon was born 3 years ago, Jacob got him a blue monkey at Ihop and Simon still sleeps with it. When we asked Simon if Lucy needed a pink monkey, he was so excited. We got online and discovered the pink version of the blue monkey was now a collector's item and was on Ebay for $40. We tried to pretend the pink monkey conversation never happened, but Simon wouldn't let go of the idea that Lucy needed a pink monkey. We did some research and found a similar version to Simon's monkey for $10. When we came home Monday with Lucy, Simon immediately ran up to her room, got her monkey, and brought it to her before we even had a chance to get her out of the car seat. He then brought down his blue monkey to show Lucy. He as been a wonderful big brother. He loves to bring her toys and is very concerned every time she cries.

8 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Any story that has a happy ending is wonderful! And now a whole new story is underway...

Megan J. Dawson said...

She's beautiful, she looks so much like Simon, Simon is such a sweet brother, and I love her name. How did you come up with her name?

Michelle said...

I'm glad that Lucy finally arrived,she is such a cutie! I love the monkey story, Simon is a great big brother!

Kaysi said...

Congrats!!! I'm so glad that she came on her own and that everything went well! I LOVE that first picture of her, she is just so happy to be here!

TheSmithLife said...

She's beautiful Ami, Congratulations! So glad that Simon is so sweet to her- the monkey story is so cute :)

Chad and Rachel said...

Simon knew all along who Lucy was and wanted to give her a birthday present! How sweet! I'm dying to talk to you about the birth and to see that little girl! Let us know when we can come over (and we can get a babysitter if you don't want the kids around Lucy)

Shannon said...

My favorite picture is when she's all curled up in her diaper. So cute!! I'm so glad you had her so that I could hold her. Love you!

Katy said...

Ami! Congrats! I'm so happy for you, she's perfect. Her name is beautiful too, I love it! and that Simon is such a sweet big brother!!!! I'm so thrilled for you guys!!