Friday, January 23, 2009

Picky Eater

I know in my last blog post, I complained about Simon's eating habits. This post will be a continuation of my complaints. Simon has refused to eat a lot of foods. By refuse, I mean throw them on the floor, at me, at the dog; and scream while trying to twist out of his high chair. The list of refused foods includes:

potatoes (mashed and cut up)

carrots
peas
corn
french fries
pasta with butter
pasta with cream of chicken soup
eggs with and without cheese
cheese
mac and cheese
cheese ravioli

ground beef
meat sticks
hot dogs
avacado
peaches
pears
and the list goes on....

But last night; he did something I didn't think any child was capable of. He refused to
eat dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets.



I didn't think it was possible for a child to refuse dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets. It's processed meat cut into the shape of a dinosaur and fried. What's wrong with this child?! Jacob is so upset he's questioning whether Simon is really his son. The most disturbing part is; after he refused the chicken nuggets, I opened a container of mushed-up, smelly baby-food peas. He sucked down every drop. Then of course, he had is regular slice of bread. The only real food Simon will eat is bread in any form. I've started making breads with other things in them to add a little variety to his diet. Last week it was orange bread and yesterday I made potato bread. A man cannot live on bread alone. Clearly this is not our child.


7 comments:

jamminjensen said...

So, remember your bridal shower...when Rachel made posters of famous couples' future children?
Remember the picture of yours and Jacobs future child? HA HA!!! I remember it not looking like Simon, but I am afraid to tell you...my dear friend...that Simon is yours and there is no denying it...just look at his CUTE FACE!:)
You are a Wonderful mother!! At least at the end of the day you can say..."I have fought the good fight"

Katy said...

UGH... Ava comes downstairs and first thing in the morning her first words are not, "morning, beautiful mommy, thank you for giving me life"... nooooo- it's "CANGEE? COOKEEE? PWEEEAAAZE???" (by the way, the first one is 'candy')... it's a total embarrassment to myself. sigh...


anyway, I'm thinking your son has officially declared himself the first of many Hippie Paulsens... just look at the facts; loves peas and bread and refuses DINOS...

We'll have to just start calling him: Sunflower-Tree-Bonder-The-hills-are-alive-while-the-forest-is-dying Paulsen. It's a mouthful, but what the boy wants....

Linda G. Paulsen said...

No, he's not a hippie. Hippies don't scream and throw food. They eat vegetables and sing in woozy voices about peace. But he's a Paulsen, yup. Paulsens have Serious Preferences About Food. It doesn't mean they are similar to other Paulsen's preferences. That would be too easy on the mother. Nor do they remain consistent through life. Nope. You'll just get used to his list when it will change; he'll be begging for dino-nuggets and swear he has NEVER liked bread, you foolish woman.

Megan J. Dawson said...

Ahhhh! picky eaters are so hard! Luke's a bread eater too! That's a good idea about sticking stuff in the bread. If you've got any good recipes, e-mail them to me please! Good luck

Michelle said...

Good luck with that one! I know how you feel, Kobe is a terrible eater too. I keep thinking it is a stage he is going through but he has been in this stage since I started him on solid food. I want some of the recipes too!

Tiffany said...

Me too I want recipes but mine aren't bread eaters. They love their milk. Well Dyllon loves his Chochy milk. that's all he would have if I let him. I want to say he will grow out of it but who knows if he really will. Good luck.

Rachael said...

I am sorry for recommending chicken nuggets. Emily loved them from the start. Don't worry - he won't starve. And at least he's addicted to bread and not sticks of butter.