Wednesday, January 7, 2009

MAC vs. PC

I'm writing this blog on my new Dell laptop that came in the mail yesterday.
For a year, I had a Dell latitude. After a while, it started making a noise indicating it was about to explode or take off. Shortly after, the battery died completely. Jacob kindly gave me his MAC and switched to using the Dell desktop.
I kept hearing from everyone how much I would love using a MAC and would never go back to a PC ever again. At first, I didn't like the MAC, but I thought I was just against change. I decided to give it a chance. Six months later, I sold the MAC and bought a PC. With the money I got from selling my two-year-old MAC, I was able to buy a brand new Dell laptop.
Here is a picture of my beautiful new laptop.



I won't go into details as to why I prefer the PC, because I'm sure that would be rather boring. The point is; I haven't joined the MAC movement.
In their commercials, MAC shows their laptop being used by a hip young guy with a John Lennon haircut, $150 designer jeans and a "business casual" zip up sweater. They want us (the consumers) to look at him and think "Hey. That guy looks like he's got it going on. He must have a million friends and be a huge success. I want to be like that guy. I'll go get a MAC tomorrow." In the same commercial, MAC shows the man with the PC laptop as an overweight, balding, middle-aged man in a cheap suit with a crooked too-short tie and pit stains. They again want us to think, "Wow. That man looks like a huge failure. He's probably single, lives in a cheap apartment and spends his evenings stroking his cat and watching CSPAN. If only he'd picked the MAC over the PC."
Well baby, if being a fat old middle-aged man is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

7 comments:

Chris Pivik said...

Way to go, Ami! Don't ever give into the man (Steve Jobs)!

Megan J. Dawson said...

PC waaaaaay better!

Katy said...

hahah!! this was hilarious! I must agree... even after the few graphics and art classes that required the artsy stuff that Macs have, i still wasn't sold. but my main reason right now is that those who are "proud owners of a Mac" are soooooo ridiculous... way to self-involved, think they are the "say-all, end-all" in anything "professional or cool".. blech-- Mac users, get over yourselves!

whew, wow, i just about had a stroke with this comment!

way to go, that's a great lookin PC ya got!

Becki R said...

Just to add my little opinion to yours, I am an in-between-er. For a lot of programs, I really do prefer using a MAC. I have a notebook and using Photoshop on a PC is just weird for me...like it just doesn´t go together...But, a PC is great for the Microsoft Office Suite. So, I guess someday when I am rich I´ll have one of each to choose from. Right...

Linda G. Paulsen said...

At least you get to choose! Frankly, I'm just glad to have a computer and know how to push the on button.

Jacob S. Paulsen said...

Read the post on my blog about my opinions: http://www.jacobspaulsen.com/blog/?p=19

Lechelle said...

There you go. just goes to show you that the mac holds it value. haha

kelly