Back in my carefree days (before I was a mom) I saw mothers do what I thought to be disgusting things when taking care of their children. I always thought "Oh my goodness. When I'm a mom, I'll never do things like that."
I held true to my convictions for approximately five minutes, but soon realized, these disgusting things are just part of being a mom.
Since becoming a mom I have on one or more occasions:
1. Picked Simon's nose with my own finger (If he gets too plugged up to breathe, someone has to get that out of there)
2. Licked my finger and used that finger to clean who knows what off of Simon's face
3. Examined his poop for small items gone missing
4. Cheered, clapped and danced for Simon's successful bowel movement.
5. Picked up a spit-out bink from off the floor, picked off whatever stuck to it during its time on the floor, and put it back in his mouth.
6. Wiped his snotty nose with my shirt or my hand (When its between crud on my shirt or hand, or crud falling in his mouth, I'll use whatever I have to wipe it away.)
7. Smelled his bum for a poopie diaper (Sometimes that horrible stench is just dissipating gas. It often takes a close up examination to determine the cause of the odor.)
8. Let him chew on my hand or clothing while going through the grocery store (Now when I'm going somewhere with Simon, putting on a sweatshirt is as much a part of preparation as packing the diaper bag. Sweatshirt strings are a great, chewable distracion when wheeling through the grocery store in a cart).
9. Rubbed baby spit-up off my shirt with a burp rag and went about my day (I only have so many shirts and have to guage the level of the spit-up before I make wardrobe changes)
10. Put his hand, foot, tummy or face in my mouth as part of a game (for some reason, Simon thinks it's hilarious when I pretend to chew on his hand, etc. I don't get it, but when he's happy; I'm happy).
I no longer see mothers do things and think "Wow. That's disgusting." I now think "Wow. What a great idea!" I'm sure I've become a mother whom others think is disgusting now. Maybe one day they'll realize how necessary so many of these things are.
Now that we're finished discussing the disgusting things, here are a few pictures from Simon's birthday party. I know I posted about his birthday earlier, but we had his big party last Saturday with mostly family and a few friends Simon's age.
Simon was a bit more interested in trying to hold the fire than blow out the candles, but I'm sure his wish still came true.
Here is my GQ son Simon. Grandma Susan gave him this suit for his birthday because he was seriously lacking in church clothes. Now all the girl babies at church are going to try to share their sippy cups with him.

7 comments:
Yeah he is really cute. I don't get it though? All of that stuff is gross?
I know what you mean. When I was a teen and my nephew threw up on me I thought I was going to die. Had it done to me last night be Garrett and now it's not big deal. Just another day or night being a mom.
hahah!!! oh ami, that was a great post! I was nodding my head in total agreement on your list o nastiness! I'll add one of my own, letting Ava drink "tea" in her own bathwater... seriously, she guzzles her own water down. Also, I no longer gag when she shoves a half-eaten, mostly soggy graham cracker in my mouth and says, "Tank Ew!" (thank you) like I should be GRATEFUL for it!
Kids are funny-- and frankly, they're FUN too.
Love the pictures: ESPECIALLY the church suit, he's SUCH a STUD MUFFIN!!!!!!! Oh man, Ava would be all over that-- in fact she'd probably love him so much she'd wipe a booger on him. THAT MUCH.
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again,"What a doll boy this Simon is!" And frankly, his momma is a pretty cute doll, too. Isn't it funny how "perspective" changes everything? The list just changes. I used to think old ladies who wore make up were gross...and so were their shoes, cardigan sweaters, and medical conversations. Guess what I resemble now...
What a good looking kid! I have found that I do most of the gross thing now that I am a mom too! I think it just comes with the jobn!
Great job on the cake, Ami! Simon is just getting cuter and cuter by the day.
Adam and I were cracking up at this post. Just wait until you have more than one kid, and the discusting things keep coming just in different stages, not to mention you tend to get even more laid back about them. yikes.
Post a Comment