Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Sippy Cup Diaries

Two weeks from Tuesday, we will celebrate Simon's first birthday. This is a huge milestone for a baby. I feel like Simon is progressing amazingly in every area but one: eating. First off; Simon still only has two teeth (both on the bottom). Because of this, his diet hasn't strayed far from blended fruits and vegetables. This week, he started on snacks designed to melt in his mouth. These were a hit so I feel we're on the right track; though I fear he'll be gumming everything for quite some time.

The real problem is the bottle. This kid loves bottles. I knew it was time to break the bottle attachment, so I experimented with a cheap sippy cup. After he refused that I tried another, and another... Four sippy cups later and he still will only drink from a bottle.

Everyone says "Just keep trying," but I don't think they quite understand the extent of Simon's distate for sippy cups. It's not as though he kindly hands the sippy cup back to me and says "Dear sweet mother; though I thank you for fixing me a superb meal of formula, I think I'd preffer to drink from a bottle. Cheerio." No. He lets out an ear-piercing scream and throws the sippy cup across the room, often hitting a wall. I'm not quite sure what to do since I believe I've already tried every type of sippy cup on the market. I fear this combined with his lack of teeth will have me packing mushy carrotts and juice in a bottle in his school lunch box.
I suppose for now I'll just keep trying with what I have and searching the stores for the perfect sippy cup or a 32 oz bottle to send with him to college.
Now just for fun; here is the latest video of Simon walking. He falls a few times, but he's fine. My favorite is when he trips over the toy so he breaks it. That'll show the toy!


8 comments:

Erin said...

AMI~
Bryce was in the same boat!! He didn't even have teeth until he was 11 months and then they all came in at once!!

We had the same thing with Bryce when we went to switch from the bottle.....I would sugges the NUBBY sippy. It is a soft nipple like the bottle...but still a sippy. We used those until Bryce would bite through the nipple and jus switched to the hard tip!

Oh...and Happy Birthday to Simon...a little early of course!

Michelle said...

I can't believe he'll be one soon, they grow up way to fast! He is a good little walker!
Kobe loved the bottle too, and I tried every cut also. I finally figured out that with the nubby cup I could screw on his bottle nipple to that so he got used to holding the cup with his bottle nipple after a week of that I put on the cup lid and Kobe transitioned great! Just a suggestion that worked for me. Good luck I know how frustrating it can be!

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Obviously the boy isn't in any particular hurry to grow up. I don't know why we fret about these things. In a very short while, you'll wish he had similar attitudes about cars, guns and girls---although girls tend to break when you throw them against a wall, it may be preferable to the alternative:)

Katy said...

Hear hear sista friend.
Ava's never been one to get ATTACHED to anything... she doesn't have a softie or a comfort blanket, she never even batted an eye when we stopped giving her pacy's at 9 months... (in fact I fear that I was the one forcing her to take the pacifier... it was MY comfort toy.) But that darn bottle... her Bob. She just will NOT give it up. I'm not too concerned since I know that she won't be a 13 year old girl with a bottle issue... she's just so dang independent that I know she'll just give it up one day... until then, I'll just continue to be mocked at Church by all the other perfect Mommies!
sigh. wo is me.
Love LOVE the video... what a champ!! I laughed so hard when he broke the toy... cute!!!!

Chris Pivik said...

Wow, I can hardly believe he's already walking. That means I've been a really bad uncle and haven't seen him since he was like 1 month old.

Shannon said...

Good for you Ami. I've learned from Alyssa's speech therapist the importance of ditching the bottle early so keep at it. :)

Rachael said...

Don't stress too hard. We gave Emily an extra couple months and the bottle was gone by 14 months. Now, if you have a 2 year old who tanks down on a bottle, then you have a problem, but he's not even a year yet.

One thing we did with Emily that really helped (because it fits her personality) is that when she had a bottle, she had to take it on one of our laps - no playing or wandering around while drinking from the bottle. She was allowed to roam with the sippy, so eventually she came to see the benefits of using it. I definitely think it's a battle worth fighting, but don't be so hard on yourself.

Tiffany said...

I agree with Erin. I had a horrible time weaning Dyllon. My problem is that he wouldn't even take bottles. I felt like he nursed forver. He is still in love with the soft tipped Nuby one. They are they best.