Growing up, I loved Valentine's Day. I loved having school parties, wearing red and eating cookies. In college, I hated Valentine's Day, even the ones I wasn't single for. I don't think it was the typical hate of Valentine's Day, but rather the fact that I went to a school filled with people getting engaged left and right; people who didn't know each other, but felt that special something when they looked at the girl sitting three rows ahead of them in their Eternal Marriage class. It wasn't that I was bitter about the holiday; but more that I was just too annoyed to enjoy it.
Now that I'm away from masses of young adults, I love the holiday again. I love to wear red, tell my family and friends I love them and, of course, eat cookies.
Those of you who know my mom know I have supermom. Now that I'm a mom, I realize more than ever just how amazing she is as a mom. One thing she did for me EVERY YEAR in elementary school was make heart cookies for our class Valentine's party. These weren't just any cookies though. After she made the heart-shaped cookies from scratch and frosted them with homemade pink frosting; she'd get out her piping bag and write the names of each child in my class on their cookie. My classmates loved getting a Valentine cookie with their name on it. Even the years when my mom was working as a college teacher, going to school to get her master's degree and raising 3 kids (one of which was quite high maintenance. I'll let you guess which one that was), she still made Valentine cookies for my class.
To pay tribute to my amazing mom, every year, I make heart-shaped name cookies and send them to my parents, brother and sister and their families. It's such a fun tradition. This year, we made the cookies for family home evening.
Simon handed Jacob the cookies, Jacob frosted them and I piped on the names/ Valentine's catch phrases. This year I also made them for Shannon's family because she is as close to a sister as you can get without being blood related. As you can see by the blank cookies, I ran out of muscle to pipe and decided it was time to quit when my next conversation heart catch phrase I prepared to pipe was "text me." That was time to call it quits. Here is the result of our labors.

12 comments:
What a cute idea, I love it!
Cute cookies! That's my favorite thing about each holiday, is the sugar cookies! I've already had three today and it's not even lunch time.
awww.. you forgot to mention that Jack came into your life on one fateful Valentine's Day in college... he shall always embody what's WRONG with the holiday at BYU-I
I love the cookies... dang, woman, you're GOOOOD!!
ps. i, uh, well, um, didn't see... uhhh... MY NAME anywhere. just sayin'.
I'm not a fan of valentines day either. I hate listening to people try and make everyone believe that their hubby is best. I remember telling Jeff that if he proposed to me on Valentines Day. I would scream NO and run away causing a huge scene. Thankfully he didn't. Loved the cookies they are awesome. I would make some too but I am in the middle of helping my sister move. Good job.
Fun Cookies, they look so yummy!
I remember you not liking Valentine's Day in high school, I remember that you wore black on the day. I really don't like the holiday, but it is fun to make things with my kids
Thanks for the cookies this year, Ami. I'm really enjoying them! Maybe next time you'll send some for Rachael and the girls.
Kidding of course...or am I?
What a cute idea! Your mom is the best!
I probably had something to do with you hating Valentines stage, remember senior year when I ripped your flowers head off??
Hope you have a Happy V day!
So fun to have a cookie tradition begun by a great mom! I think Valentine's Day is nutty, myself. I don't hate it--but it's certainly over-silly in some ways. But cookies is a great way to solve the dumbness.
You're so good to do this for everyone. Way to go- you did good.
How fun! I want my kids to be in the same class as yours!!
I can honestly say you made my day and most likely the girls too since they got to eat a cookie before dinner! Love you!
hey!! just found your blog through katy's!! you look GREAT and your little guy is adorable!
Post a Comment