Recently, I read a book by Orson Scott Card called Empire. It was AMAZING in a terrifying sort of way. It's basically a story of a second American civil war or revolution. It was very well written (as Orson Scott Card books generally are).
After I finished, I went to Card's website to see when the sequel comes out. The good news is, it came out in November. The even better news is...
Orson Scott Card is teaching a writing class at Utah Valley University in Orem, June 28 and 29. I am so excited I could eat an entire chocolate cake by myself (wait; I can always do that). The class is a bit pricey ($175), but if you combine Christmas and birthday presents for the next 75.23 years, you can take this class with me.
I am so excited about this. After I got my journalism degree, I realized "I really don't want to be a reporter." I knew I wanted to continue to write and loved the writing style I'd spent 4 years studying, but decided I'd rather apply it to writing books than stalking politicians and grieving families to get a good quote. I've read several Orson Scott Card books and am very impressed by his writing style and ideas.
For those of you who want to spend two days with me, learning from an incredible writer, sign up for the class at www.hatrack.com.



5 comments:
dude, that's AWESOME!!!!!! getting taught a few tricks by OSC is like going to a cooking class with... Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa, come on, am i the Only one who watches the Food Network religiously?)
LUCKY YOU!!!!!!! be sure to take some notes and pass on some tips to us non-rich folk!!
Now I know what to offer you for your birthday! I'd want to go with you but that's the same time as our vacation. Sounds so fun.
I am super excited for you! Passion like this is rare and I'm glad you have some!
PS... I am making this comment in Chrome
How 'bout I watch Simon for you instead?
Hey! That is awesome! What a great coincidence that you discovered it. How fun, and especially because you have such and interest- I forgot you graduated in journalism. Hope it's great and you have a good time too!
Post a Comment